[thelist] MySQL licensing (was: Which RDBMS?)

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Sat Aug 14 11:25:55 CDT 2004

raditha dissanayake wrote on 14/08/2004 18:24:
> have not followed the discussions on the mysql mailing lists - their
> position (unless it has changed of late) is that if you make a
> commercial product that stores data in a mysql db you have to pay them
> licensing fees - this is what a mysql sales rep told me.

At http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/opensource-license.html it says:
"Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute. As long as you
never distribute (internally or externally) the MySQL Software in any
way, you are free to use it for powering your application, irrespective
of whether your application is under GPL license or not."

A web site is a commercial product, but installing MySQL on your web
server is not distributing it. Or is it?

.k