[thelist] change apache port on linux

sbeam sbeam at syxyz.net
Sun Aug 15 20:09:04 CDT 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 11:19 am, Joel D Canfield wrote:
> The apache docs seem to say that the default port for apache is 8080

?? not usually.

> but trying to connect to the machine across my network thus
>
>   http://orkney:8080
>
> results in an error,

what error? does orkney resolve OK? or is it "connection refused"?

> even if I explicitly add 'Listen 8080' to
> httpd.conf.

Make sure the "Port" directive is also set to 8080 in httpd.conf. Port
is generally used for the 'primary' port, whereas Listen is used for
virtual servers and the like. Setting Listen wont hurt but without a
corresponding <VirtualHost> block it won't do much.

And dont forget to restart apache.

--

# S Beam - Web App Dev Servs
# http://www.onsetcorps.net/