[thelist] adding PHP and MySQL to RedHat

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Mon Aug 16 01:26:31 CDT 2004

Joel D Canfield wrote:

>>Mysql and php are both bundled with that ancient version of
>>Red Hat if I
>>remember correctly. You can just install them off the cd using RPM.
>>

>Which, as I've mentioned twice, I don't have. If I did, y'all never
>woulda heard from me, I'd just install from there.

I am sorry I have overlooked that point but instead of complaining what
you should do is goto mysql.com or any of the sites that distribute RPMs
and download it from there.

>>Anyway you should definitely get a more recent version of RH. However
>>you probably do not want fedora which as a I understand does
>>not include
>>mysql (they say it's not because of the license issues .....)
>>

>So, upgrading to Fedora does me no good.
>
>Honest, I'm not scared of computers. I create automated DOS tools and do
>a half decent job with scripting and stuff. But this about has me beat.
>I cannot believe anyone would intentionally go through this nonsense to
>install a scripting language and database. Everyone acts as if it's
>simple, but I have yet to see a single complete solution and I've been
>mucking with it off and on all day. I built my entire Windows server in
>less time.

Honestly you cannot expect your knowledge in an anciently technology
like DOS to do you good in a totally different field.

>Here's an example of the kind of confusion I'm suffering:
>
>Typing
>    rpm -il MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm
>returns
>    Package MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm is already installed
>
>however,
>    rpm -ql MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm
>returns
>    Package MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm is not installed
>
>So, is it installed or not? I sure can't find it.
>
>When does it start making sense?

It starts making sense after you spend five minutes reading the man page
for RPM the syntax you are using for rpm -ql is wrong and it's explained
in the manual.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.