[thelist] adding PHP and MySQL to RedHat

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Aug 16 01:22:24 CDT 2004

Joel D Canfield wrote:

> Honest, I'm not scared of computers. I create automated DOS tools and do
> a half decent job with scripting and stuff. But this about has me beat.
> I cannot believe anyone would intentionally go through this nonsense to
> install a scripting language and database. Everyone acts as if it's
> simple, but I have yet to see a single complete solution and I've been
> mucking with it off and on all day. I built my entire Windows server in
> less time.
>
> I'd love to upgrade. To what? If Fedora doesn't include MySQL, that
> sorta defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
>
> Could someone who lives in the Linux world give me a reasonably complete
> run down on how I get from RedHat 7.1 with no MySQL or PHP, to
> *anything* *with* MySQL and PHP.

OK, I'm baffled -- what's the issue? You want an OS; you want apps.
Pick an OS; install it. Pick the apps you want; install them. How
is this different than Windows? That doesn't come with PHP or MySQL
either...

I don't use PHP so I won't speak to that but MySQL provides binaries
for multiple platforms. The Linux ones are, I believe, all statically
linked so the chance that they'll run on your distro is pretty high.
If not, download the source, configure and make; I've only found a
very few things that took more than that, usually stuff with a lot
of graphics library dependencies.

Again, I'd just ignore RPMs; you're better off installing manually
(IMHO). If for no other reasons than that you can have multiple revs
of a single package installed simultaneously for test purposes, and
you know where things are.

If that's not specific enough, let's take up the cudgel again in the
AM, West Coast time :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.