[thelist] Data Modeling Tools, any suggestions?

Tim Beadle Tim.Beadle at iop.org
Mon Aug 16 02:44:45 CDT 2004

thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org wrote on 13/08/2004 18:33:14:
> Websites use databases, so I hope this is not too off topic. Anyway, I
> am looking for recommendations for Data Modeling tools. Basically what
> I am looking for is a tool that will allow me to create an ER, or data
> model diagram, based on a target DBMS and then once complete output
> the necessay sql script to create the database.
> Anyone have any favorite tools that they use for this?

Chris,

I have used Dia (open-source GTK drawing app that includes UML capability
etc) to model databases. I then used a Perl script called dia2sql to
transform the XML (which is all a Dia file is) into SQL that can be used
to create your tables.

Make sure you save your Dia files uncompressed, or they'll be gzipped and
therefore not plain XML!

Regards,

Tim

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.