[thelist] Virtual private server vs. managed dedicated server

Peter Van Dijck peter at poorbuthappy.com
Mon Aug 16 09:49:25 CDT 2004

I'm looking for a host with some specific requirements and have a few
questions:

- I don't think I want a VPS (Virtual Private Server) host, because, if
I understand this correctly, on a VPS you have to manage security
updates and such yourself. Is this correct?

- I need the usual Apache+PHP+MySQL. I absolutely need to be able to
edit the httpd.conf file (htaccess is not enough).

- Apart from that, I'd like it as managed as possible.

- I want to spend something like $40-$140 a month.

- I will host a few domains on this, and would like an easy to use panel
(like cPanel).

- I want to host a for-pay service on this, so reliability and support
is important.

Any recommendations? What type of service should I go for, considering I
do need httpd.conf access but I want minimum fuzz with the server
(updates, ...). Maybe a managed dedicated server?

Cheers!
Peter