[thelist] OnBLur

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:14:41 CDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:57:56 -0500, Mike Carlson <mike at mcarlson.net> wrote:
> I need to implement some code that will not allow a user to close or move focus from a windows until it is done processing some stuff in the background.
>  I am currently using onBlur="window.focus();" in my body tag, but that does not seem to "fire" until the entire page is done loading.
>
> One of the processes in the background takes a few seconds to run and since the onBlur is not firing, the user can switch focus from that window until the entire page loads. I need something that will fire as soon as the window is displayed.
>
> Another thing I want to implement is to remove the ability to close the window except for clicking a button which isn't displayed until everything is done in the background.

Are you also going to find a way to stop me from turning off my
computer as well? What you are trying to do is to influence basic
aspects of the operating system or window manager from within the
security confines of a web browser. I don't think this is possible. If
I want to go and do something else while your app processes, then I
had better be able to do that.

One of the first rules of Interface design and computer-human
interaction states that you should never do anything that involves
non-module boxes (boxes that persist on top of everything else on the
desktop). This is what you are suggesting. These are a *very* bad
idea.

Exactly why do you need this kind of functionality? What is so
terrible about someone looking at another window or app while yours is
still processing?

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd