[thelist] [mySQL] user admin help please!

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 18:38:44 CDT 2004

Hello,

I'm working on a dev machine testing out WordPress and I have mySQL and PHP installed while
running Apache 2. I'm having a heck of a time setting up users in mySQL. I have it installed at
c:/mysql.

I'm trying to use mySQL Administrator as the GUI for this. It seems I can add a user just fine. I
then add 'localhost' as the host to connect to. (The other choice seems to be 'build' and I have
no idea what that is). Yet that account does not work, because changing my DB connection to that
user/pw name throws a connection error.

So I launch WinMySQLAdmin.exe - and that does not even show the DB/tables that WordPress
installed! (Note, Wordpress is working just perfectly.) So lastly, I figure I'll go to the command
line. I go to c:/mysql/bin/ and launch mysql.exe.

I do 'show databases' and get NO databases, yet again - everything is working! So I try and look
for a duplicate install of mySQL on my C drive but don't see one. I try launching mysqld.exe
instead but nothing happens. Am I looking at the wrong executeable?

Anyway in the command line I did:

grant all privileges on *.* to 'tom at localhost' identified by '' with grant option;

and got the success message. Yet again, this connection does not work! The ONLY thing that will
work is the user 'root' with no password.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!