[thelist] wiki

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Tue Aug 17 08:49:01 CDT 2004

Peter Van Dijck wrote:

>> Has anybody had experience with a wiki using a rich-text editor? Or
>> have you customized a wiki to make it easier for non-html-savvy people
>> to use? As "easy" as the wiki formatting is, it can start to look
>> confusing pretty quick.
>
> My experience was that it's not the formatting that's hard, it's the
> idea of adding content to a collaborative place where anyone can edit.
> I've introduced a few wikis, and some of them worked, others didn't. It
> depends mostly on the attitude/culture of the people who you want to use
> it. It can be a lot of work to get them going.

Agreed. Just dropping the wiki culture on people can be hard. Many
either don't think they should edit/add to it, or eventually will, but
don't quite grasp good wiki style/usage.

Still, I've put them to use internally as ad-hoc knowledge bases and
it's worked pretty well, even if it's just a few people that use them
and get something useful out of it.

Pete