[thelist] wiki

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Aug 17 13:32:22 CDT 2004

Pete Prodoehl wrote:

>>> Has anybody had experience with a wiki using a rich-text editor? Or
>>> have you customized a wiki to make it easier for non-html-savvy
>>> people to use? As "easy" as the wiki formatting is, it can start to
>>> look confusing pretty quick.
>>
>> My experience was that it's not the formatting that's hard, it's the
>> idea of adding content to a collaborative place where anyone can
>> edit. <snip>
>
> Agreed. Just dropping the wiki culture on people can be hard. <snip>
> Still, I've put them to use internally as ad-hoc knowledge bases and
> it's worked pretty well, even if it's just a few people that use them
> and get something useful out of it.

Perhaps an actual knowledgebase would be more appropriate?  I haven't
been able to get any clients to use a wiki, but KBs with their
categories-and-articles structure seems to be approachable for most
non-tech staff users to maintain.  End-users are often familiar with KBs
as well (even if they don't know the word "knowledgebase"), and provided
it's fulltext searchable, it may be a better solution.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce