[thelist] downloadable files

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:47:44 CDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:13:04 -0700, Mike <designbase10 at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I would like to offer some files on my website available for users to
> download. The files are in the EPS format (encapsulated postscript). I
> had a large EPS file and then zipped it and uploaded it onto the website
> with a link to the file. But when I tried to download it as a test (I
> was using IE5mac), I received an error.

What was the error that you received? Did you make sure that you put
it into a directory that was accessible from the web?

> What is the best procedure to use to offer large ZIP downloads for users?

That depends on the needs of your users and the security that you need
to put in place around the files that you are offering. You can do
everything from directory browsing to ftp to serving the files using
some form of scripting language.

> I own Stuffit Deluxe on my mac and I tried encoding the ZIP file into
> binhex and then I uploaded the binhex file (filename.hqx). This worked
> very well but the filesize was very large and I am not sure if users
> would likely be able to open it. Can most users open a binhex file? If
> so, then great - that will be my solution. But I am not sure how many
> people can open binhex (.hqx). Is binhex very standard?

The best format to offer files in is always .zip. Otherwise, people on
PC's do not have a hope of opening the files. Binhex is basically a
Mac only format.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd