[thelist] CSS & PDA's - Now I am Confused...

Tim Beadle Tim.Beadle at iop.org
Wed Aug 18 02:49:53 CDT 2004

thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org wrote on 18/08/2004 05:23:57:

> Anyone care to point me towards some useful info about web page design
> for PDA's, how they are rendered, what CSS is used?

PDAs should, in a perfect world, use the 'handheld' CSS media type. In our
world, unfortunately, they ignore useful things like standards and go
ahead and use the screen media type.

> Perhaps this is where WAP comes in, which means I have yet ANOTHER
> language to learn. If so I find it hard to believe one can't build for
> multiple platforms without having to build the site more than once. And
> worst have to do it each time something is added/edited/deleted from a
site.

WAP/WML is, IMHO, a bit of a dead-end technology. PDAs are capable of
running full-on HTML browsers; it's only older non-'smart' phones (like my
T68!) that are using WAP.

Useful thread at webmaster world:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum45/244.htm ...

... which links to Webmonkey article 'The End-All Guide to Small-Screen
Web-Dev':
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/04/12/index4a.html

HTH,

Tim

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.