[thelist] PHP or ASP? " dilemma, strict company rules, and hybrid web site.

Seth Thomas Rasmussen seth at sethrasmussen.com
Wed Aug 18 21:56:09 CDT 2004

Paul,

<q>
This topic is running wildly off-topic but, to get back to the original
poster's question, perhaps it's worth considering (crazy, I know) the
REASONS the boss wanted MS-only development. Maybe, just maybe, it's
actually been thought through.

It sounds suspiciously like EVERYTHING else in the business is MS
technology, for a start. Sure, you might prefer PHP -- but then, what
happens after you leave? The boss has to suddenly hire a PHP person to
take
care of your work, as well as the C# person to take care of the rest?
They
won't be able to reuse any code you've written elsewhere, either.

Maybe the company has existing relationships with Microsoft which it is
able to exploit in terms of sales, upgrades, consulting, or support.

Maybe it has existing relationships with .net contractors who the CEO is

comfortable with using if he/she needs work done suddenly in the future.

Using your position as a 'technical expert' to influence the company's
opinion in favour of what you think is the better option is one thing.
But
apparently undermining a direct instruction because of personal
preference
seems to be a good way to weaken both the company's and your long-term
position, in my opinion.
</q>

I don't deny that if you look at it simply as "I was told to do this,
what's the easiest way," then yeah, ASP is probably the way to go,
especially if your assumptions hold true.

But... maybe it's not enough for some people to simply do as their told
<q>(crazy, I know)</q>, especially when one is proposing an alternate
solution that is *not* based solely in opinion but rather quantifiable
benefits that outweight such simplistic and absurdly broad criteria as
"because they said so" and "whatever's most convenient".

<tangent>
Microsoft has how many billions of dollars at its disposal now, and it
can't even put out a decent Web browser with support for open standards.
Instead, they neglect that arena because they've already dominated it.
Already sapped it to serve *their* needs. And again, it is important to
consider their definition of domination, of success, of victory, and ask
if that's acceptable! I mean geez, you wanna talk about "my platform is
better than yours" type situations... and the irony of supporting ASP
when the agent for viewing its byproducts that is put out by the same
company is so inferior, well, it's really quite amusing. It's kind of
like creating a great car engine and then putting it in a go kart with
an El Camino frame.
</tangent>

But whatever. I know how people get when threads go *gasp* off-topic...

Peace,
Seth Thomas Rasmussen

--

News! - Evolt.org conference for web professionals.
17-19 September 2004 in Toronto, Canada.

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Workers of the Web, evolt !