[thelist] Data Modeling tools, any suggestions?

Jeffrey Joslin lists at joslins.net
Thu Aug 19 14:12:00 CDT 2004

Chris,

Although this might not exactly suit your needs, it may address some of what
you need:

SQL Fairy SQL::Translator
http://sqlfairy.sourceforge.net/

>From the project site:

"SQL::Translator is a group of Perl modules that manipulate structure data
definitions (mostly database schemas) in interesting ways, such as
converting among different dialects of CREATE syntax (e.g.,
MySQL-to-Oracle), visualizations of schemas (pseudo-ER diagrams GraphViz or
GD), automatic code generation (using Class::DBI), converting non-RDBMS
files to SQL schemas (xSV text files, Excel spreadsheets), serializing
parsed schemas (via Storable, YAML and XML), creating documentation (HTML
and POD), and more. New to version 0.03 is the ability to talk directly to a
database through DBI to query for the structures of several databases."

Certainly worth a look, anyway.

Hth,

jj