[thelist] Intranet Help

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 10:01:06 CDT 2004

At 00:24 on Friday, 20 Aug 2004, Gabriel Vasquez wrote:

> Hi Evolters!
>
> I've been trying to find good information about intranets but I haven't
> had much
> luck. I know what it is, but I really don't know much else. Here's my
> problem:
>
> I have 3 computers that have access to 1 shared drive. The share drive
> is where
> I want to put the intranet. I also want the webpage to be database
> driven and
> would like to run php, but I'm not even sure if it is possible.

Where is the shared drive?

to run an Intranet, you need networked machines.

One machine should run the web server, say Apache; PHP and MySQL can also
be installed on that one machine.

The machine will have an IP address on the network.  you need a method of
letting the other machines on the network know that IP address, at the
basic level you could enter a fictitious domain name into each hosts file
mapped to the server IP address ( assuming windows )

more about your network and how the machines access the "shared" drive
would help with an informed answer.

hth

Tony