[thelist] Intranet Help

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 13:40:31 CDT 2004

At 19:10 on Friday, 20 Aug 2004, Chris Johnston wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:01:06 +0100, Tony Crockford
> <tonyc at boldfish.co.uk> wrote:
>> The machine will have an IP address on the network.  you need a method
>> of
>> letting the other machines on the network know that IP address, at the
>> basic level you could enter a fictitious domain name into each hosts
>> file
>> mapped to the server IP address ( assuming windows )
>>

> Other than entry the domain name into each computers Host file, what
> other methods are there? Can you elaborate on some of the not so basic
> methods that exist for propagating an IP address across a network and
> connecting that IP address with a domain?

DNS on the LAN
http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/dns2003/
http://www.lantimes.com/handson/97/706a107a.html

Windows Internet Naming Service
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/155/09/1.html

but they're outside my field of speciality and I guess you're hinting at
that with your question.

I was trying to be helpful with very little information to go on.

a small network of four machines wouldn't be too hard to manage with the
hosts file (*nix or windows)

;o)