[thelist] ASP's Sendmail not working outside our network

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Aug 20 14:38:47 CDT 2004

At 09:17 AM 8/20/2004, Rob Smith wrote:

>I've developed a web app that uses ASP's Sendmail program. We have narrowed
>down the problem/error that emails send via this methodology are not going
>to recipients outside our local domain.
>
>The page that is sending the requests is located in a secured environment.
>We're running IIS 5 on Windows 2k. Our exchange server is 5.5.
>
>Any help is appreciated? I'm probably just missing a setting somewhere? Is
>there some kind of "message sent ok" "delivery failed" that i can see on
>these emails in exchange?

The CDONTs module does not have error reporting for sending mail, makes it
a pain to work with. I've used ServerObjects ASPMail
(http://www.serverobjects.com/products.htm) which does have error
reporting. Server Objects does not appear to be updating the software
anymore, so we are planning to move to Software Artisan's SMTP Mail
Component (http://fileup.softartisans.com/fileup-276.aspx).

What's probably happening is that your firewall is not allowing your Web
Server to send out via port 25. What you should do is setup the Web
Server's SMTP Service to forward/relay to your exchange server and have it
send out the mail.

--
Anthony Baratta
President