[thelist] "Hand Coding" in DWMX2004

Scott Brady dsbrady at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 07:52:39 CDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:08:33 +0300, Burhan Khalid  wrote:
> While editing text in "design" mode, if you hit more than two spaces,
> the extra spaces are not "visible". As a habit, I type two spaces after
> end of sentence punctuation.  In Dreamweaver, the two space trick
> doesn't work. If you want a deliberate space, say four spaces, you have
> to go into code mode and enter

CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE will put in non-breaking spaces.  (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER
will put in line-breaks, as well).

(Those are also the same short-cuts as they were in HomeSite/CF
Studio, which is how i happened to figure that out in Dreamweaver).  I
suspect they do it this way, instead of every space putting in a
non-breaking space, to keep things consistent between design and code
view -- you wouldn't want every white-space you put into code-view
being translated as <br />'s and &nbsp;'s would you?

For the copy right search, I just did a quick trial with DreamWeaver
MX 2004 and was able to do this fairly easily.  I did a "Source Code"
search, looked for Copyright 2004, and replaced it with Copyright
&copy; 2004.

These aren't necessarily "flaws" with Dreamweaver. They're part of the
learning curve. (Sure, it may not work the same as the tool you're
used to, but I wouldn't expect all the tools to work the same.)

Don't blame a tool you're not familiar with for not "working" right.

I'm not saying DreamWeaver is perfect (not even close).  There are
plenty of valid complaints about it.  I certainly don't consider these
as examples of problems with DreamWeaver.