[thelist] ProtWare's HTML Guardian... your thoughts.

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Aug 23 07:16:00 CDT 2004

Of course there are tools to reverse it.

It is important to understand that the ASP script engine itself must be able
to get at valid code. So there are two options:

a) ASP script engine must be fed plain text code. That means that the code
needs to be decrypted, and fed to the ASP engine. Well, if some component
can decrypt the code, then so can I. Even if I can't work out what
encryption algorithm you are using, I can attach a debugger and see what's
being passed between the various processes.

b) ASP script engine (suppose it can be extended to support encrypted code)
is fed encrypted code. To work out what the code say, the script engine must
have some kind of key to decrypt the code. How do you keep the key secure
when the server isn't yours? You can't. Wherever ASP gets the key from to
decrypt the code, so can the bad guy.

Basically, if you are running your code on a machine that someone else
controls, there's no way, ultimately, that you can keep your code secure.

Now, I look at the claims that this website makes about keep HTML secure.
It's not secure at all - it's just encoded, and uses javascript to decode
it. Well, anyone can do that. Remember, the browser on my computer needs to
be able to read valid HTML, so somehow the HTML needs to be decoded back to
valid HTML. Anything that can be done by script can be done by me as well.

Cheers
Ken