[thelist] TCP / IP Error

Sam Carter scforum at iness.com
Wed Aug 25 16:21:52 CDT 2004

I've got a customer, who from one building alone, occasionally can't reach
our website.  The browser will display something like:

Problem Report  There was a communication problem.
Message ID      TCP_ERROR
Problem Description     The system was unable to communicate with the
server.
Possible Problem Cause  .       The Web server may be down.
The Web server may be too busy.
The Web server may be experiencing other problems, preventing it from
responding to clients.
The communication path may be experiencing problems.
Possible Solution       Try connecting to this server later.

I've had an IT engineer reproduce the same error on the Internet side of the
building's firewall.  This is disconcerting news.  It seems to be a problem
upstream from there, but I have complete confidence it isn't a problem with
our server.  We have about 1000 users a day on the website, from all over
the country.  The only complaints we receive are from this one location.

The IT engineer ran a firewall trace which shows our server responding
"Unknown command" to browsers before the TCP/IP error message is displayed.

Anyone with any suggestions or prior experience with similar problems?

Sam