[thelist] Can a scam be brilliant?

Manuel González Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Thu Aug 26 04:04:31 CDT 2004

El jue, 26-08-2004 a las 02:35, Ken Schaefer escribió:
> Why would anyone think they're on the Google website, when the URL is
> clearly www.textileinternet.com?

Because it's visually crafted to be a google look-alike
Because the google logo+searchbox is placed where usually the site
branding would be, leading to a (imo intended) confusion
Because if you don't double-check the URL, it really feels like a google
directory thingie
Because most people don't really know what an URL is

> And how is this a scam? What are they trying to get off you?

Sorry if i miss the finer (or even the obvious) points of english
semantics. What's the word for trying to trick the less web-savy into
believing they are using a google product when they are not?

Anyway, i feel my musings have taken me into tip-owing territory

<tip author="mort" type="Resolution Testing with IE">
Via web-graphics(1) , a demo of an IE feature that is surprisingly cool
(2)

(1) http://web-graphics.com/mtarchive/001297.php
(2) http://surfmind.com/lab/resolutiontester.html

</tip>

--
   Manuel trabaja para Simplelógica, construcción web
(+34) 985 22 12 65            http://simplelogica.net