[thelist] Snapshotting a website?

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 16:10:26 CDT 2004

on 26/08/2004 21:16 Chris Kavanagh wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good way I can verifiably "snapshot" their
> existing site, in case my friend should later need proof that it wasn't
> there?

make a directory, say sucked_sites, cd into it, then
wget sitename.tld
that will attempt to download the site. You should read the manual first
as you may want to limit how much you attempt to download.

wget www.sitename.co.uk -r

-r --recursive
Recursive  web-suck.  According  to  the  protocol  of the URL, this can
mean two things. Recursive retrieval of a HTTP URL means that Wget will
download the URL you want, parse it as an  HTML  document  (if  an HTML
document it is), and retrieve the files this document is referring to,
down to a certain depth (default 5; change it with -l).  Wget will
create a hierarchy of directories locally, corresponding to the one
found on the HTTP server.

The directory dates are as created by wget, but the file dates are as on
the original server. wget will create a directory called
www.sitename.co.uk, the site is sucked into it.

Cool as !

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty, Mega Products Ltd
12 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL Fax: +44(0)871 224 7891