[thelist] Snapshotting a website?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Aug 26 20:33:49 CDT 2004

Chris Kavanagh wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Does anyone know of a good way I can verifiably "snapshot" their
> existing site, in case my friend should later need proof that it wasn't
> there?

$ mkdir ~/grab
$ cd ~/grab
$ wget -r -m -np -c http://url.to.site/

burn the contents of the grab dir to CD twice, put one copy in a case or
sleeve, then in an jiffy envelope, then mail it to yourself.  This copy can
be proved by postfrank and seal that it matches the other copy you have, so
if it's required for evidence, the postfrank will help to verify the date
and veracity of the data.

not foolproof, but useful.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him