[thelist] UK distance selling regulations

Chris Kavanagh chris at logorocks.com
Fri Aug 27 08:28:40 CDT 2004

Dear list,

Thank you all for the help.  I thought posting what I've learned about
the law on this matter might actually be fairly helpful for those
developing websites that sell to UK consumers.

As Chris Nicholls suggested: with a very few exceptions (including
online auctions), UK consumers do have a right to return any goods they
have bought in a "distance contract" - meaning a transaction in which
the seller (or any of his colleagues) and the buyer have not had
physical contact.

Basically, the consumer has the right to cancel and demand a full
refund within seven days of either receiving the product or agreeing to
the service.  Their money must be returned within 30 days.  Unless
previously agreed in writing, the consumer doesn't have to return the
goods - just make them available for the seller to collect.

I believe the above only applies if the consumer has been advised of
his rights to cancel in writing (or in the T&Cs of a website):
otherwise the consumer has three months and seven days in which to
cancel.  So it may be worth updating your T&Cs if you have UK ecommerce
clients.

A handy guide is here:
http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal+Powers/
Distance+Selling+Regulations.htm