[thelist] usability of (form select) drop-down menus

J Nicholas Tolson websherpa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:34:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:39:28 +1200, Stuart Young <syoung at unitec.ac.nz> wrote:
> hi -
> does anyone know of any resources on the usability of drop-down menus,
> i.e. ones that use the form select element NOT flyout DHTML ones,
> compared to a block of text links?

My search didn't turn up much, but have a look this:

 Should I use a drop-down? Four steps for choosing form elements on the web
http://www.formsthatwork.com/ftp/dropdown.pdf

I also seem to remember that Steve Krug mentions this topic in his
book, "Don't Make Me Think"
http://www.sensible.com/

Same with the book my 37 Signals, Defensive Design for the Web:
http://www.37signals.com/book/index.php

And, lastly, I haven't poured through the whole thing (it's huge) but
Usability.gov's Research-based Web Design and Usability report may
also offer some insight:
http://www.usability.gov/pdfs/chap.html

Good luck.

Nicholas