[thelist] network MAC and PC in home office

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 00:43:24 CDT 2004

Ethernet is a specification for communicating over a certain types of
cable (fibre and copper).

What you want is something a little higher up the OSI network model.

If both machines are connected to the router (whether using ethernet,
WLAN or token ring or whatever), and they are talking at least one
common higher level protocol, they should be able to communicate.

For example, if both are running TCP/IP then you should be able to run
FTP and HTTP servers on both, and transfer files that way.

Otherwise, newer versions of MacOS and Windows have compatible support
for SMB (Server Message Block). On machine you should be able to do
something like File -> Open -> \\IPAddress\share of the other machine.
On the Windows machine you install "File and Print Sharing", and on
the MacOS machine I'm not sure what you need to enable (SAMBA
perhaps?)

Cheers
Ken