[thelist] usability of (form select) drop-down menus

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Tue Aug 31 03:48:17 CDT 2004

Stuart Young wrote:

> does anyone know of any resources on the usability of drop-down menus,
> i.e. ones that use the form select element NOT flyout DHTML ones,
> compared to a block of text links?

I'm pretty sure Jakob has mentioned this more than once, so it may be
worth checking out alertbox.

One thing people often do is use Javascript to automatically submit the
form. However with javascript turned off, the dropdown is useless, so
if you do use this mechanism (as a secondary nav only I'd suggest) then
make sure you add a submit button as well.

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/