[thelist] assigning IPs in IIS6

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Aug 31 05:24:54 CDT 2004

Hi,

I think you are misunderstanding the point of httpcfg.exe

You should only need to use httpcfg.exe when you have other
application(s) that need to access the same ports that IIS does (eg
port 80). For example, if you want to run both Apache and IIS on the
same machine, and have them listen on separate IP addresses, then you
need to use httpcfg.exe

If you only have IIS listening on port 80 then httpcfg.exe is unnecessary.

This KB article explains it in much more detail:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813368

The link you posted shows someone wishing to run ISA Server on port
80, and have IIS listen on some other port, and then have ISA Server
reverse proxy requests to IIS. This requires httpcfg.exe. Unless you
are running ISA Server, then httpcfg.exe should be unnecessary.

Unless there is something you're not telling us about your setup (eg
you wish to run multiple different web servers on the same machine), I
think you should undo the changes you have made using httpcfg.exe

Also, I'd hardly call this "undocumented" - there's plenty of
documentation on socket pooling. Socket Pooling has been used by IIS
since 1999 AFAIK.

Cheers
Ken