[thelist] nice easy Unix distro installation?

sbeam sbeam at syxyz.net
Tue Aug 31 06:39:43 CDT 2004

On Sunday 29 August 2004 03:26 pm, Roger H. wrote:
> I have been googling, but I was wondering if you folks have any
> suggestions for a downloadable unix distro, for an old system I want
> to set up as my pretend server. Something I can install MySQL, PHP,
> etc. Hopefully something I could just burn on to a cd, and load to
> the dino computer

Not real sophisticated but maybe this will help:
http://www.tuxs.org/chooser/

Linux has a easier learning curve and generally smoother installations
than BSD <duck>, and there are plenty of ML's and forums for those new
to the game. Whichever distro you choose, join the appropriate ML and
don't be afraid to ask anything. My other tip is, if you are planning
on running this on very old hardware (< 500Mhz CPU?) then don't bother
installing KDE or Gnome, they will be too slow to use - if you must
have a windowing system on it then try to get Fluxbox or XFwm4
installed instead - otherwise, since this sounds like just a DB/Web
server, you could forgo graphics alltogether.

enjoy and good luck.

--

# S Beam - Web App Dev Servs
# http://www.onsetcorps.net/