[thelist] Windows Server 2003 Confusion

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:35:20 CDT 2004

I think these types of questions are beginning to stray off-topic for
the list, and if you're seeking information on these types of things,
you're best off seeking help on a Windows systems administration list.

a) Is there any reason you need to use a logon script, and that needs
to be a .vbs file? Mapping drive letters can be done using a .bat file
(net use) -and- if you use Group Policy Objects (GPOs) you can assign
these scripts to groups of users rather than setting this one user at
a time

b) Is there any reason you want to use roaming profiles rather than
Intellimirror?

Both profiles, and logon scripts date back to NT days. If you have
Windows NT clients, then that's what you have to use. But if you have
Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro clients then I personally think you
are better off using Group Policy objects.

I can send you some instructions on setting up logon scripts and
profiles if that's what you really want (I will send these offlist due
to size - let me know).

Cheers
Ken