[thelist] sql group one field

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 01:46:42 CDT 2004

I think this is called a "crosstab" query - something the RDBMSes
typically do not handle very well internally (because you are
essentially violating your relational design - you are turning
independant records into a single record, and making them attribute
data)

What you usually do is extra all the records into an array or similar
structure in your business layer, and do some kind of loop, and
assemble the data in the way that you want.

Some RDBMSes have stuff built-in to do this. I don't know about mySQL,
but Access does, though that's an exception rather than a rule AFAIK.

Cheers
Ken