[thelist] Subdomains, Wildcard SSL and Proxy servers

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:34:08 CDT 2004

abc.mycompany.com would be a host (abc) in an existing domain
(mycompany.com) rather than a subdomain. A subdomain means a domain
that exists underneath an existing domain, and which in turn can
contain further domains or hosts. If abc.mydomain.com was a subdomain,
then you'd be able to create www.abc.mydomain.com

In terms of content serving, a reverse proxy can do what you want.

Cheers
Ken