[thelist] Licencing of Web Based Application

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Wed Sep 8 20:28:00 CDT 2004

Tim Copeland wrote:

>My company is currently looking at providing a developer licence to some
>software we have written. The tricky bit is our application is totally web
>based, which makes it difficult to implement traditional locks on the
>software, such as dongles which are traditionally used to limit access in
>high value products.

we sell a few web applications as well, and for the low cost ones we
have not bothered to place any locks. The argument is becuse it will be
running on a web site not someone's pc so piracy is easier to spot.

However for our most expensive product, the installer is shipped with
one file missing. This file is downloaded over the web when the correct
serial number is given.

Our web apps are in java so IP based restrictions etc are bit hard to
effectively implement.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.