[thelist] Need to add a serial number system to my ASP script.

Craig cd-ml at aardvark.net.au
Mon Sep 13 00:47:14 CDT 2004

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

> In this case, with a fixed serial number(s), I don't think there's any
> real point encrypting anything.
>
> You see, the DLL would need a master list of valid serial numbers. And
> it makes no real difference if that list is a set of "encrypted"
> serial numbers, or just a set of unencrypted serial numbers.
>
> Your system doesn't aim to prevent copying of the software - only to
> prevent the use of software without a serial. By copying the serial,
> anyone can copy the software. Whereas in my previous suggestion you
> are aiming to prevent the copying of software - in that case, the
> software checks machine properties against the serial, however only
> you can generate the serial numbers, and the serial number is unique
> for each machine.

Yes my only aim (at the moment) is to prevent people using the DLL without a
valid serial number.  I haven't really thought about piracy, or people
sharing the serial number with their friends.  What I would do is keep a
database of serial numbers I send to customers, and if I see a particular
serial number on a piracy site (etc..), I guess I would try to take action
against the customer, or at least not provide any future versions of the DLL
to that customer.  This is only a quick explanation, but can you see any
problems I might encounter doing it this way?

Do you know of any links that might be relevant to what I'm doing?

Thanks,
Craig Dyer.