[thelist] network switch - ok to transfer files?

Alex Beston alex at deltatraffic.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 13:29:36 CDT 2004

Hi all

Im trying to share files between two computers via a network switch.

When I try map network drive on one machine, it cant see the other
computer.

the syntax is \\[computer name]\[folder name] as far as i know.

the main computer   is set up to receive internet packets - i have it
connected to the modem via the switch and works ok.

the second machine using ethereal is able to see the packets - when i
ask to map network drive from the main computer- 3 NBNS (netbios name
service) packets show up with the search for the second computers name
and yet it says the network path cannot be found.

I disabled the firewall as well, but then it prompts if theres incoming
packets

should I use a hub? I thought a network switch would be able to transfer
files between computers

Any ideas how i could proceed?

thanks in advance

Alex