[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory

Ken Chase raskenbo at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 14 15:42:09 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:43:02 +0100, "Scott Harman" <scott at harman.tv>
said:
> Personally - I'd stay away from static html -= it's really not that
> difficult to set up a little mysql db on a box sitting around in the
> office.
> In that respect, it's pretty quick and easy to knock up a dynamic site
> in php/asp or whatever you fancy.
> You'll spend far less time doing it this way, than you would otherwise
> (IMHO)
> As PHP renders everything out to HTML anyway (and it's up to you to make
> it compliant and accessible regardless) it's much of a muchness.
> I've just whacked together a pretty simple generic csv file import
> script for handling exactly that - where a csv file contains pretty much
> the information you've described - instead of job title and job
> description, it's just an FK for the table which deals with that.
>
> Let me know, and I'll post my script (which isn't particularly elegant
> or clever - but it works quite nicely)
>
> I personally think it's just too labor intensive regardless of company
> size.
>
> My 2p.

Thank you very much for your response. I realize that you are trying to
educate me and I am respectful of that. I wish that I did have access to
a database for this directory but I don't. That is why I specified the
criteria that I did.

I appreciate the fact that this list exists and that so many people are
willing to help. However, to avoid having this thread go off-topic,
please avoid suggesting technologies that differ from the ones listed in
the original post.

respect,
kenbo

However, there is good reason why I listed criteria for t