[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Sep 14 16:00:54 CDT 2004

Ken Chase wrote:

> I'm lacking inspiration today and need to create an employee directory
> for my company. I can't seem to find anything very elegant in my
> searches.
>
> Here's the criteria:
>
> - 25-30 employees
> - I don't have access to a database. Everything must be static HTML
> (valid)
> - Accessibility is very important
> - JavaScript is the only programming option
> - Fields: First Name, Last Name, Job Title, Job Description, E-mail
> Address, Telephone Number
> - The e-mail address must be a link which populates an e-mail form (I
> really don't like using "mailto" I guess this means using
> JavaScript/DOM).

What are you going to use to send the form, if you have no server
scripting language available?

In any case, if you can't do this dynamically, I'd suggest your only
maintainable option is to put the employee information in a single
file (XML, CSV, whatever) and then generate your static pages using
make, Ant, XSLT, Perl -- whatever you're most comfortable with.

At least then you won't have to be mucking about with the HTML once
you've settled on a format; edit the source file, regen and you're
done.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.