[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory

Scott Harman scott at harman.tv
Wed Sep 15 04:39:21 CDT 2004

I'm liking the idea of Perl - it's something easy enough to install on a
webserver, and it would probably be appropriate for a project of that
size - in terms to pure data manipulation, it's quick and easy.
I suppose if the webserver is off-site and you don't have access to
configure it just the way you'd like - I can kind of see where you're
coming from, but at the same time - I've never worked in an office where
there haven't been a couple of spare boxes sitting around doing menial
tasks where you can install apache, perl, php and whatever else takes
your fancy.
In terms of a database-based site -if you don't have a spare box, and
don't fancy installing MySQL, Postgre or some other open source solution
- then yes, I can accept that.  However - the solution I proposed was
getting slightly ahead of your requirements, where I was thinking more
in terms of a company wide address book, where any user can input the
contact details that they deem useful for the rest of the company.
Alternatively, the same can be achieved with any of Hassan's proposals -
which will be faster and easier again.
In terms of user expectactions - what do they need, what do you think
they need, and of course - in an ideal world, what will you give them.
All completely different requirements and expectations - but the last
two are determined by you, and the technologies you have available.
You could even use a flash-based solution reading from a csv file - if
that's what you really want... However in terms of accessbility - that's
not what you're really looking for are you?

Scotty