[thelist] Web Based Employee Directory - prt 2

Ken Chase raskenbo at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 15 09:31:52 CDT 2004

> > Here's the criteria:
>
> > - I don't have access to a database. Everything must be static
> >   HTML (valid)
> > - JavaScript is the only programming option
> > - The e-mail address must be a link which populates an
> >   e-mail form
>
> The last two points are contradictory.
>
> I would ask what the "e-mail form" is for.
>
> The mailto: (or JS option) would link to the users mail app.
>
> But the use of a form demands the use of a back-end process, meaning a
> programming option beyond JS.
>
> So, if you need to have an HTML form, and that form be mailed to
> someone, then you have no choice but to use some server-side language,
> like Perl or PHP.
>
> If this idea is just to send someone a letter, than no problem. The
> mailto: (or JS option) will open the mail app by itself.
>
> Just thought I'd mention that.
>
> Walter

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Although I should have asked my
question differently, I'm glad that I didn't because I've received a lot
of good ideas that I would have ignored otherwise.

I should have mentioned that our publishing system (built on top of
Lotus Notes) has built in functionality that allows us to create simple
e-mail forms. I don't have much control over them, but I'll figure out a
way to get the e-mail addresses from the employee directory page to the
e-mail form.

I am part of an extremely large organization and I do not have access to
the server. I would have to pay our internal programmers for any
customized server-side development work and they only support J2EE and
Oracle (BTW - I can't have Notes customized).

Although I fully understand that using a database and scripting language
is the way to go for this type of product, it would be cost prohibitive
to my department.

---- Revised Question ---------------

I guess would I should have asked is:

"Does anyone have any examples of/suggestions for an elegantly designed
employee directory that does not make use of server side
technologies/databases?" (for example, show/hide functionality using
DOM/CSS/ECMA Script).

I have something similar to this right now (with a few more employees
and a single column):

http://webdb.iu.edu/InternationalServices/scripts/ois/staffListing.cfm

1. My main goal is to improve functionality and accessibility

2. I only have have 450px width to work with (I can’t change this) which
makes for a long vertical scroll.

At this point, I'm mostly looking for general inspiration with regards
to functionality and design as opposed to recommendations for specific
technologies.

Thanks so much, respect
kenbo