[thelist] Enterprise Red Tape was: Web Based Employee Directory - prt 2

Ken Chase raskenbo at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 15 12:22:20 CDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:35:02 -0700, "Steve Lewis"
<nepolon at worlddomination.net> said:

<snip>
> The J2EE model should streamline the process of reading and updating
> commonly used data.  It should cut down on the number of rogue
> servers, wasted resources, and concurrent development of redundant
> solutions to common problems.  In essence, it should bring the concept
> of code reuse out of the box and into the organization's culture.
<snip>

Bingo! This is the message that we always receive from our tech shop
managerial types (not the coders). The promise is that eventually,
through code re-use, development costs will be drastically reduced. The
reality is that the wheel keeps being re-invented and even if I develop
this myself and follow established guidelines, I will be charged for the
resources that are required to do a full code review. So, I don't find
that there's anything inherently wrong with the J2EE model but rather
with how it is(n't) implemented.

Now, if I had access to "pre-approved modules" (ken drifts into
dreamland....)