[thelist] Speed Testing

Ken Chase raskenbo at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 16 13:22:00 CDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:50:46 -0400, "Mike Roy" <MRoy at cxtec.com> said:
> 	Hey All -
>
> 	I want to be able to test video and flash at different connection
> speeds. Flash has the "bandwidth profiler" that gives you a good idea,
> but
> I'd like to find something application-independant ...
>
> 	I wouldn't mind being able to get an accurate read of the speed of
> my regular site pages ... I don't quite trust the weight/speed that
> Dreamweaver gives me. I miss the old websitegarage.com
>
> 	Any thoughts?
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	Mike Roy

I could be missing something here but...

You could do the math (divide file size by the modem's connection speed
- this would give you the fastest possible speed for said device). For
something closer to real world you could use the data provided by ping.

I'm not much of a "tech" guy but I think that the very nature of how
TCP/IP works would make it difficult to be very accurate with this type
of measurement. You can optimize your server and your file sizes, but
everything else is out of your control.

just a thought,
kenbo