[thelist] Enterprise Red Tape was: Web Based Employee Directory - prt 2

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 14:19:00 CDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:35:02 -0700, Steve Lewis
<nepolon at worlddomination.net> wrote:
> The J2EE model should streamline the process of reading and updating
> commonly used data.  It should cut down on the number of rogue
> servers, wasted resources, and concurrent development of redundant
> solutions to common problems.  In essence, it should bring the concept
> of code reuse out of the box and into the organization's culture.

In terms of code reuse, I have actually seen this used. One place that
I worked built several different components that all of their web
applications used. One of these componenets handled security (i.e.,
user login and password control - beyond the capabilities of JAAS and
the app server). They had another component that was called common
that contained a set of common tools and utilities that could be used
in developing web apps.

Each of those two components saved programmers hours and hours of time
as they did not have to reimplement them. All they really needed to
know was the API.

However, this does little to answer the original question.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd