[thelist] Web Page Image Capture

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 01:31:49 CDT 2004

At 20:40 on Friday, 17 Sep 2004, Vail, Warren wrote:

> Has anyone run across a way of capturing an image of a web page (given a
> URL), with all it's components, that can be thumbnailed and saved
> somewhere?
> I can do it manually (Alt print scrn) cutting it out of the browser image
> with paint, but would like to do this in automated fashion using PHP, if
> possible, to provide a guide for theme selection for a portal system like
> PHPNuke.

Gadwin printscreen will answer your first requirement - it can be set to
screen grab the window (no chrome) and save a reduced size image to a
directory of your choice all in one click.

but what you really need is ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org/) and
write yourself some routines using the "import" command.

import will read a window and output it as an image file, you can then use
ImageMagick to manipulate that file to create a thumbnail

hth

Tony

--
listening to: background noise