[thelist] Opinions on Macromedia Flex

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Mon Sep 20 09:13:51 CDT 2004

Hello Everyone:

   A friend of mine pointed me to Macromedia Flex as I was discussing
with him different ways to approch a new frontend that we are developing
for our client billing system.

   The scope of the project is that clients will login via the website
and then be able to buy products and services, generate invoices, etc.
etc. -- the catch is that the interface needs to be extermely snappy and
has to link up with our backend.  It also needs to be translated in to
different languages.

   From the presentations that I have viewed and the demos that I have
seen (all on macromedia.com btw), it seems that Flex is more like
"programmable flash" than anything else.  Some examples seems a bit too
good to be true, although I have to admit I was very impressed with the
array of components available (especially the "accordion" widget).

   Is anyone using this product? Any opinions? The price gave me some
pause ($12,000 for a dual proc. license) so I was wondering if anyone
can offer some opinions or share their experience.

Regards,
Burhan Khalid