[thelist] telling IE not to open text files

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Wed Sep 22 11:17:15 CDT 2004

> > On our intranet we frequently link to live documents using
> the 'file'
> > protocol, assuming the doc will open in its native
> application. Text open in IE.

> Add the content-disposition header.  Set its value to
> "attachment; filename=whatever.txt" Then, set the
> content-type to application/unknown so that IE will have to
> guess which app to use.

Eh, just got to working on this, and can't make sense of it. Here's what
the link looks like:

I have no control over the contents of the file it links to, and don't
see how headers can be affected with a link like this.

Am I missing something, or was the original problem not stated clearly
enough?

Thanks again.

joel