[thelist] RE: Flash Remoting MX v Flash Communications Server MX

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 10:10:48 CDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:49:07 +0100, Gavin Lilley <gavin at crispuk.net> wrote:

> I currently have a mysql database, using php I query the database to produce
> xml, the xml is loaded into flash and used to populate a dataGrid or a form
> constructed of several . A user can edit the data in a form, I then
> loadVariablesNum to a php script which performs a update query back into the
> mysql database.
>
> To reduce development time, I have been told that the remoting tool is a
> much smarter alternative as I can setup data sources using actionscript
> which is not only faster but the data source changes are handled by flash
> and automatically stored back in the database. Do macromedia produce this
> tool? Is it a combination of cfmx and remoting or is there no real advantage
> over php?

For something like this, Remoting will definitely speed things up as
the data no longer needs to be parse into XML to go into Flash and
then parse back into data once it is inside Flash. Flash remoting
makes the data transfer much more transparent. Also, you can map a
datasource to a Flash component, so when the data changes, the
component updates what it displays and if the data that is being
displayed changes, you can create functions that can update the data
back into the database.

There is an open source implementation of the Flash Remoting libraries
(the server part) that is built specifically for php[1]. This means
that you may be able to reuse a lot of your old code and you do not
have to learn another scripting language.

[1]http://www.amfphp.org/

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd