[thelist] What would you want from a Directory Script?

Chris Cothrun mutagen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 01:01:08 CDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:47:48 +0300, Razvan Pop <razvan at cpea.ro> wrote:
> For now this are the features:
>
> 1. Tableless
> 2. Standards compliant, Section 508 and WAI
> 3. Search Engine friendly URLs
> 4. CSS themes
> 5. MySQL and PostgreSQL
> 6. Unlimited subcategories
> 7. Keywords and description metas change according to the content
> 8. Handheld and TV CSS support

Several years ago I set up PHPHoo, an early yahoo style directory
style script, basically as my online bookmark system. I've always
wanted to go through and clean it up with essentially the above goals
in mind.

Recently I ran across SiteBar, something designed as more of an online
bookmark script than a directory. While it works great as an
individual bookmark system, it misses some of the functionality that I
like about PHPHoo, most obviously allowing others to submit links that
I can then approve for publication.

My ideal system would be a combination of both. Your goals would go a
long ways towards that, CSS could be used to accomplish both a
directory style listing and a tree-styled bookmark-like listing. A
bookmarklet script could make it useful to quickly drop links into
appropriate categories.

I'd love to dive in and help implement something like this,
unfortunately my schedule is quite full for the next few weeks at the
very least. I'll be interested to watch your progress.

--
- Chris