[thelist] Best WYSIWYG HTML page editor for CMS

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Sep 27 18:05:42 CDT 2004

David Caplan wrote:

>I'm looking for the best WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that I can drop into
>a site CMS as a module.

David, the defacto standard is HTMLArea[0], which is based in
javascript.  It has some nice features, such as importing an existing
stylesheet into the editor, external config files, etc, and has some
good plugins.  Another good option is FCKEditor[1] (unfortunate name
though!) which seems little cleaner but slightly less extensible.  A
slick but kinda limited option, Editize, is available from SitePoint[2]
as a java applet with a number of APIs.  The applet approach has the
advantage of being better supported cross-browser.  Finally, I've never
used it but WysiwygPro has been recommended to me on an earlier thread
on this list [3].  Looks cool, though!

[0] http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=htmlarea
[1] http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=fckeditor
[2] http://www.editize.com/