[thelist] Coldfusion Novice

evolt.sarahwbs at xoxy.net evolt.sarahwbs at xoxy.net
Tue Sep 28 12:49:40 CDT 2004

> I'm doing a Web site update for company XYZ. They want me to add some
> on-line forms with the results of the submitted forms going to
> joeblow at xyz.com. I've done this in the past using PHP.
>
> Company XYZ's Web site was done using Coldfusion. I know nothing about
> Coldfusion. I bought a book on the subject and installed the Coldfusion
> server locally on my machine so I can play around with it.
>
> When I asked company XYZ for ftp host, userid, and password information,
> they gave me a link to a password-protected directory on their Web site
> that the previous Web designer set up for them to be able to edit and add
> new pages to their Web site.
>
> Will I be able to code the form-submission-to-email from within this
> directory without needing access to the Coldfusion server?

It's not impossible to do it this way. You could make a page in this
directory that accepts the form submission and uses <cfmail> to send
them the results.

But... If you don't mind my asking, if you're doing work on their site,
why wouldn't they give you access to the whole site?

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com