[thelist] sending mail to someone youve never met before

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Sep 30 23:07:56 CDT 2004

Message from Alex Beston (9/30/2004 10:48 PM)
>Hi Steve
>
>>>so if I was getting people to look at a site ive made about time travel
>>>or rose pruning, what would be a good way to get attention without it
>>>appearing like junk?
>>
>><jest>
>>Use lots of exclamation points!!!!
>></jest>
>>
>>Unless these folks signed up on an affiliate's website, and that
>>affiliate got authorization from the user to share their addresses, you
>>are spamming them, IMO.
>>
>>If you are not genuinely spamming them, the email ought to come from the
>>affiliate website's contact address and should also indicate the name of
>>the affiliat's website in the subject.
>ok, but if someone has a site about x and they leave their email on it,
>surely they are inviting mail?

Such as, for example, you're a user of website Y (which you do not run).
Other users of the site may leave comments on that site with their email
address included and you want to contact them.

Perhaps you could say "Regarding your comments on website Y" or "I saw your
comments on website Y"?

>if they are into x and you are mailing only about x surely they would be
>into that? a warm reception?

If I'm interested in travelling to the Caribbean, it doesn't necessarily
mean that I want every single travel agent contacting me with airfare
offers does it?

>sorry to sound totally ignorate but what is an affliate site and how do
>they work?

I think Steve meant if one of your affiliates (colleagues, partners,
friends) had a website that collected email addresses from its users, and
that person had obtained the users' permission to contact them via email.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/